Sunday, July 10, 2011

Japan, here I come!

I leave for Japan tomorrow, and I’m glad to say that by now, I’m done packing! What a relief it is to have my bags packed and ready to go by the front door.

The main thing I kept in mind while packing is that summertime in Tokyo is HOT and HUMID. At the moment, it is a stifling 90°F in Tokyo! Okay, so maybe 90°F doesn't seem that hot, but once you consider the intense humidity of Japan... it's not comfortable weather at all. Shorts, tank tops, sunscreen, and my favorite sunglasses were the first items tossed into my suitcase. It’s especially important to pack clothes to keep cool in because Tokyo is experiencing power shortages caused by tsunami damages to the Fukushima Dai-ichi power plant. Usually, the city conquers the heat by blasting the air conditioners all day long, but this summer more energy efficient solutions are being sought. That means less air conditioning, and lighter clothes.

Aside from packing, I've spent the entire week preparing in various other ways. I booked hotels and hostels, made numerous trips to the bank, gathered important travel documents, called my airline to sort out some confusion, searched my parents house for any spare yen, and so on. Unrelated to my trip, the toilet in my apartment flooded today and I had to clean up the huge mess. Yuck! Definitely not how I wanted to my spent my last day in the States. The one thing I did not get to do that I wanted to do is say goodbye to most of my friends. :( Oh well. That means I must make up to them when I get back! But wait, it's too soon to be thinking about what I'll do when I get back from Japan. I'm not even there yet!

Anyways, I'm so excited for this trip. I should get some rest, as it's late. Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment